23 was a ROUGH year. And I know, I say this every year... but for real. Last year was full of loss, heartbreak, and change. I thought I had life figured out at 18. I moved out of Long Island and into the big city. I worked a full-time job supporting myself while in school. I was an ADULT. And I was, but now - I wish I was able to tell my 18-year old self that life was just beginning.
As many melt-downs as I had at 23, last year was also filled with beautiful, hopeful memories that I will carry with me through the rest of this magical life. I feel more myself than ever and much of that is thanks to what I learned at 23.
Here's to another fantastic, crazy, mind-blowing, busy, and knowledgable year! (Shout out to my best friends for forever making me feel like the boss-ass unicorn bitch that I am and taking the most perfect birthday shots ever. I love you more than words can manage.)
- Not all love is ever lasting but all love is worth having - no matter how short-lived it may be.
- Embrace every version of yourself. You are not who you were 10 years ago and in 10 more years you won’t be the same you are now.
- Having a home is not a luxury - it is a choice. We build our homes within ourselves; it is up to us to decide how we want to project that in the place we sleep.
- Your style is ever changing; stop trying to put a label on it.
- Not everyone will agree with the decisions you make - that doesn’t mean you should question the decision.
- Embrace the booty. You don’t fit in low-rise jeans. You will never fit in low-rise jeans.
- Being passionate is not a burden - it is a gift. Treat it like such and feed it everything it needs to thrive.
- Not relying on your creativity and artistic skills to pay the bills does not mean you are not an artist.
- You can’t judge your current relationships based on past relationships. Two people are not the same and just because someone hurt you doesn’t mean every relationship will end in pain.
- All pain is temporary.
- You’re not the only one who deals with daily anxiety. Although this is comforting, it doesn’t give you an excuse to not treat it.
- Dressing the part is more important than you thought. Take that to heart and start dressing for the position you want, not the one you have.
- That said, you don’t need to show your belly button off every chance you get. It’s cute, but you just don’t.
- Grocery store shopping doesn’t have to be a terrifying experience.
- Exceeding expectations is always a good move.
- Change is hard as fuck, but overcoming change is the only way to grow.
- Growing up mentally and emotionally feels like growth spurts from the inside.
- Take compliments.
- When your friends are there to help take it. Stop being so afraid to ask for it - but don’t be mad with whatever that help may mean. They’re harsh, but they love you.
- Embrace all love wholly and fully. Let it enter every pore of your skin and every molecule of your being.
- Crying openly in a movie theater is therapeutic.
- You don’t need to give everyone an explanation for the decisions you make.
- Getting older is beautiful and wonderful and you are LUCKY to have lived another year.